Friday, December 16, 2011

Risk!


No pain no game.

I was a risk taker/ride warrior/daredevil. Actually, so much so, my AOL Instant Messenger screen name was Daredevil7321, and had been my email address until I found a more sophisticated fit... Three months ago. How did it all start? Quinn Labowitch, this is a shoutout to you. Remember when you used to have a boat on Gray's Bay? Yep, we were hardcore tubers. You're mom called me a daredevil, and I wanted it to stick. It didn't. It's a total lady-slayer of a name. Right?

Well, I've come to realize it has become less and less applicable to my life. What risks do I really take? I try not to cross lines. If the benefits of a successful risk outweigh the effects of a failure risk does that mean I should take it? Usually, my answer is no. Since elementary school, I've consistently become more shy.

But this year, forget it. I'll show up in a tuxedo and
if I want to. I'll participate in Mr. Wayzata and probably make a fool of myself. I'll invest $2 in a cheetah print bow tie.

A week from today, I'll be in Colorado, skiing down mountains. Talk about risks. This trip, I'm going to ski down the back of a mountain in an un-groomed bowl. More to come... but enjoy the last days of school this year until I get back to you.

No comments:

Post a Comment